To change hostname: /etc/sysconfig/network
/root/install.log is a complete log of installation
/root/anaconda-ks.cfg is a kickstart file containing the selected installation
Using ILO, DRAC might encounter corruption problems if using the virtual CD feature.
RSAII is not recommended to use virtual CD feature to install or upgrade ESX Server.
VMFS is not supported on IDE or SATA.
An ESX Server must have SCSI storage, NAS or a SAN non which to store VM.
ESX Server supports up to 256 LUN for Operation, but the installer supports a maximum of 128 LUN only.
VMware recommends that you do not rearrange driver controllers among PCI slots after you have installed the ESX Server software.
DO NOT install ESX Server on a SHARED LUN.
Before the installation, ZONE and MASK all the SAN LUN away from the server.
• VMware provides a driver disk for
• New hardware for VM: after installation, use VirtualCenter to assign the hardware to the virtual machines.
• New hardware for the Service Console: A simple reboot won’t make the service console aware of the newly installed hardware; Run kudzu to detects any new hardware and adds appropriate entries to /etc/modules.conf; or edit /etc/modules.conf manually:for example, adding a new SCSI adapter that use a driver named adapXXXX, add this line:
alias scsi_hostadapter adapXXXX
• Device Driver Mappings during upgrade to VI3
ESX Server installer renames the file
Creating a Rescue Floppy Disk
Use dd, rawwritewin, rewrite to create a floppy image called bootnet.img. This file is located on ESX Server CD in the /images directory.
How to add storage to VI3 in VirtualCenter 2
- In VC2, go to the server's configuration, click on Storage (SCSI, SAN, and NFS) in the left inside the hadware panel, and click on "Add Strorage..." in the upper right corner.
- In the Add Storage dialog box, we can choose either a)Disk/LUN for Fibre Channel, iSCSI SAN storage, or local SCSI disk; b)Network File System for a shared folder over a network for VMware datastore.
- In the next step, it will display all the scanned volume device. Choose the correct one, and click on next.
For a image containing a OS, after restoring the image to attached virtual hard drive, we need to make it an active drive in the attaching virtual server. Otherwise, it won't be able to boot.
It is the same thing for P2V Assistant helper virtual server. We need to make the attached virtual hard drive active before P2V Assistant can recongnize it by size, OS and reconfigure it.